1. The Flowers of St. Francis (1950, Roberto Rossellini)
Currently my favorite Italian movie.
2. Three Crowns of the Sailor (1983, Raoul Ruiz)
3. Two by Manoel de Oliveira: Inquietude (1998) and Non, or the Vainglory of Command (1990)
Ruiz and Oliveira continually outdo each other, depending whose films I’ve watched more recently.
4. Alain Resnais double-feature: Smoking/No Smoking (1993)
Or maybe it’s a single feature – either way.
5. World on a Wire (1973, Rainer Fassbinder)
13. Japanese Summer: Double Suicide (1967, Nagisa Oshima)
14. Daisies (1966, Vera Chytilová)
15. The Lady Vanishes (1938, Alfred Hitchcock)
I cringe to see this at the bottom of my own list since it’s so good, but it was a great year.