The American Movie of the theater scene, guy spending years working on an epic that is never finished, then turns his own creative process into art instead. Andrew Garfield plays the guy who would later write Rent, Miranda stuffs the cast with theater people we didn’t recognize, and the whole thing is charming with good music.
Charles Bramesco called Garfield exhausting and said Larson’s “pre-success years play like fan fiction of his own life.”
This was chosen as a movie to please everyone at Thanksgiving, and it mostly worked out.
We also attempted to watch:
- most of The Mystery of Picasso
- the first half hour of Daisies
- In The Same Breath
- the opening scene of Annette
- first half of Stop Making Sense
- first episode of Exterminate All The Brutes